Sunday, November 26, 2006

Scotland to become independent?


A majority of voters in both England and Scotland back the break-up of the United Kingdom, a poll has suggested.

Support for Scottish independence has reached 52% among Scots and 59% south of the border, according to the ICM survey for The Sunday Telegraph.

I would rather not see the breakup of the UK but it looks increasingly like it’s going to happen, having said that I don’t see it having a negative effect on England. Labour are only in power because of the Scottish and I think the BNP are more likely to get in power if the Scottish had their independence. We would also stop subsidising the Scottish.

So like I said I would rather the break-up of the UK not happen but I wouldn’t mind if they did. If they want independence it should be given. Everyone has the right to self determination.

I think I may have a way to stop independence though. The SNP are more represented in the highlands (or so I have heard) so you give them more than one referendum if they vote yes. If they vote yes then you split Scotland between South Scotland and North Scotland then you make the Scotland that you think will vote no to independence vote first. If they vote No then you give the same referendum to the other part of Scotland. The other part of Scotland are unlikely to vote yes if the others vote no because it would split their country up and I don’t think they want that. This is a similar strategy to what Blair used for Devolution. He knew that the Welsh would vote no if they had to vote first and the Scottish vote no if the Welsh voted no so he made the Scottish vote first because they also had the most calls for independence. The plan worked. The Welsh just barely had their referendum pass and they both got their devolution. My plan would work. The union would be saved.

I think if it comes down to it Labour will do my plan. At the moment they are relying on Scotland to keep them in power. Without Scotland they would be nothing. Gordon Brown would never become prime minister. So for the first time in my life I am going to be relying on the deviousness of Labour to keep the union intact.

3 comments:

alanorei said...

"Fear not, my lord! For I have a cunning plan!"

Certainly we should have no Scots cabinet ministers, after devolution, or even Scots MPs in English constituencies.

I think that if Scots realise they will receive less English taxpayers' money with independence, they would be less in favour of it.

However, I am not altogether clear on the implications of the 1707 Act of Union. As part of Great Britain's written constitution, this act may not be open to repeal by referenda - not that this would necessarily be a barrier to the nation-wreckers in the establishment, who are hand-in-glove with those who brought about Britain's illegal membership of the EU.

This is the sinister undertone of 'independence.' It is really direct control from Brussels, via the traitor Prescott's 'Regions' policy - itself an EU abomination.

The ultimate aim is to have the UK broken into 12 'regions,' all dictated to by Brussels and ripped off accordingly to bolster up inefficient continental farmers and incoming EEuropeans.

For that reason this bogus 'independence' should be resisted but only a BNP Government can do so completely

youdontknowme said...

The BNP have just passed a motion at their conference in favour of an english parliament. I am just in favour of english votes on english matter. I don't believe we need another layer of elected representatives.

alanorei said...

"I don't believe we need another layer of elected representatives."

I agree. This may be to head off groups like England First and English Nationalists.

But to my mind, if you have an English Parliament, it weakens the concept of British Nationalism.