Sunday, July 08, 2007

Blogpower votes on my membership


Blogpower, a group of which I am a member of wants to get rid of me again. You may remember that a few months ago there was a vote and in the end I got to stay. The vote this time is over the same thing – my membership of the BNP. Apparently it conflicts with the Blogpower ethos which doesn’t really exist except for the Blogpower manifesto which it seems I am the only one taking it seriously, especially rule 2 which says:

2] be broadminded and accept that others in the scheme are going to have views opposed to ours. So what?;

Some of the members have complained that I mentioned the BNP while promoting the Blogpower awards; they forget that I also talked about Santa.

Those complaining about me are trying to kid themselves that they support free speech when in reality they are paying lip service to it. They say something along the lines of “I support your right to free speech but I don’t have to promote it by having you in the Blogpower blogroll”. To me, that’s like saying “I support your right to life but I don’t have to phone an ambulance or give you CPR if you have a heart attack. I also won’t tell anyone that you are dying”.

Last time a situation like this happened we decided that those who had the problem could delete those blogs from their blogroll. Some of the bloggers did and now these bloggers want to go further even though they aren’t linking to me anyway.

The poll is happening now. I hope the members can find a way to put personal differences aside and work together but it seems unlikely that they will.

8 comments:

Ian Appleby said...

Wayne, your post is a triumph of misrepresentation; yes, your membership of the BNP is one of the issues, but an equally important aspect has been the lack of respect you have shown for your fellow Blogpower members.

That, even after all the discussion we have been having over the past few days, you feel able to say the Blogpower ethos "doesn't really exist" I think shows clearly the gulf between us.

And you are also raising the free speech canard again; if Blogpower is about anything at all - and that is itself open to debate - then it is about freedom of association. Go ahead, join the BNP, that's your right. But by the same token we have the right not to have you joining us as well.

The Green Arrow said...

Who gives a fig about Blogpower. Your blog is good enough to get around the world without their pathetic support. If they want to live in an Ivory Tower let them.

Their admin guys are so far up each others rear ends that they stink.

If this had been any other Blog than yours I would not even comment.

Anonymous said...

I've just Googled to find out what blogpower is. Um, why do you care? They seem like a bunch of self appointed wankers?

What do they actually *do*?

Sorry, just asking because I am curious.

youdontknowme said...

Go ahead, join the BNP, that's your right. But by the same token we have the right not to have you joining us as well


I know however I have already joined and as for the ethos if it wasn't written down it doesn't exist. How was I supposed to follow something which wasn't shown to me?

And what you say is hypocritical. It's like saying "We support your right to freedom of association but you can only associate with them in the designated places which sadly isn't this country".


Who gives a fig about Blogpower. Your blog is good enough to get around the world without their pathetic support

I know. I guess I just like being the persecuted one. lol.

Ian Appleby said...

Wayne, do yourself a favour and find out what freedom of association actually means.

And once you have, go and look up "ethos".

youdontknowme said...

Ian-I know what it means but it seems your excluding me because you believe that I chose wrongly when I chose who I would associate with.

So what exactly is the blogpower ethos?

Lord Nazh said...

Again with the 'they's? ...

:)

youdontknowme said...

All in the context it's supposed to be in.