Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Two years on; gang warfare continues

A GANG war has left a community living in fear of violence.

And a 54-year-old father who said his three sons were involved in the 'turf war' in Nelson has told of his worries that someone will be murdered before the trouble ends.

The dad said the gang wars among Asian youths had been escalating for more than two years.

He said his three sons, aged 18, 21 and 27, were all involved, but that they refused to speak to him about what was happening or how their injuries came about.

Nelson councillor Jamil Munir called for "prompt action" from police, and for those responsible to be put in jail.

He said: "I have lived here 36 years and never known anything as serious as this.

If this has been going on for more than 2 years why haven’t the police done anything about it? Surely they should know what’s happening by now and can stop it?

There is gang warfare in my area (you wouldn’t know it from the papers) but it probably isn’t as serious and the police are doing their best to stop it. Whats different about gang warfare where I am from is that the gang warfare is based around ‘postcode wars’ where gangs from one postcode fight another gang from another postcode (eg. TS6 fights TS11). The police quickly got a hold of the situation but it was partially because one gang had their own website with ‘forthcoming events’ (fights) listed. They now do it through text message which makes it harder for the police but they are still doing well.

No comments: