Thursday, February 01, 2007

Prison service fobbing me off again


Remember in January when I said that the prison service was refusing to answer my request and may do by today (feb 1st)?

Well at 5pm they had not answered it so I sent an email off to them telling them that if they did not give me the information by tomorrow I would complain to the Information Commissioner. This must have spooked them because just 10 minutes later they sent me an email (and I felt like a right dick for sending the other email until I read the email that they sent):

I am writing further to your previous information request relating to ‘How much is spent on digital TV (Sky, Freeview, NTL etc), and games consoles (Xbox, Playstation and games etc) between January 2002- October 2006’. This has been processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act:

We continue to consider your request and we apologise for not responding to you by 2nd February 2007, as previously stated.

Incase you are not aware February 2nd has not even happened yet so they must have had this already typed up to respond to me whenever they were going to respond. Basically they are lying to me and fobbing me off hoping I will forget.

But wait it gets better. They go onto say:

As a result, we will not be able to provide a full response within the stipulated period. Your request is being dealt with as a matter of urgency and now aim to respond by 2nd March 2007.

Incase you don’t know the prison service has been fobbing me off since November and last time I threatened to go to the Information Commissioner if they didn’t give me an answer. It looked like it only worked a bit so I have sent this back to the guys in government:

That is not good enough. I have been patiently waiting for months. I will be emailing the Information Commissioner if I don't have the information by tomorrow.

I hope they do give me the information by then. I don’t feel like going through another whole heap of bureaucracy and going to the Information Commissioner but I will if they don’t answer by tomorrow.

No comments: