Sunday, June 17, 2007

Swiss voters approve welfare reform


Voters have approved a cost-cutting reform of the state disability insurance scheme which has notched up huge debts over the past decade.

The proposed changes won the support of nearly 60 per cent of the electorate, according to final results.

The reform foresees annual spending cuts of around SFr500 million ($402 million) in the long term and a 20 per cent reduction in the number of new beneficiaries every year.

Unfortunately the turnout was only 35.8% but people did seem in favour of it. I don’t know much about it but I think I would have voted against it. People can’t help being disabled and to put a limit on the number who can claim does not really help. Disagreeing with the Swiss seems to be something I do a lot. When they had their healthcare proposal I was for it but 76% of the voters rejected it. If I lived in Switzerland and knew about the issues I may have a differing opinion than I do now.

That is people power in action. When is this country going to get direct democracy?

No comments: